Preparing for your stay

How to get to Sweden

By air - Most flights arrive at Arlanda Airport. From here you can either take the airport bus "Flygbussarna" (35-40 minutes) to Cityterminalen at Stockholm Central Station or the airport train "Arlanda Express" (less than 20 minutes) to Stockholm Central Station. Bromma Airport lies near the city centre. It is connected to Stockholm Central Station by airport coaches. The journey takes 20 minutes. From Skavsta Airport, south of Stockholm, there are airport coaches to Stockholm, which take 80 minutes.
By Boat - There are ferries running to Gothenburg from Denmark, Great Britain and the Netherlands; to Stockholm from Finland and the Baltic States and to Malmö from Denmark, Germany and Poland.
By train - The Swedish railway company is called SJ and provides services throughout the whole country.


If you are a citizen of any of the Nordic or EU/EEA countries, you have access to public medical services if you register beforehand at a social insurance office in your home country and obtain a European health Insurance card. If European health insurance cards are not yet issued in your country, ask for a form E128, or a form E111. All exchange students from Nordic and EU/EEA countries are covered by an accident insurance during daytime studies (Student In)
» Kammarkollegiet

Students that do not register with their social insurance office in their home country need to arrange their own insurance cover. This is also easiest to do in your home country. Medical treatment is expensive without any form of health insurance. You are also recommended to make sure that you have a sufficient insurance for other things, such as accidents, loss of personal property, householders' comprehensive insurance, etc. Contact your own insurance company to see what they consider the best for your stay here in Sweden. Two companies in Sweden can insure your student accommodation without the Swedish personal number:
» Gefvert

Financial issues

The Swedish currency is krona, abbreviated as SEK or kr. Credit cards are widely accepted and you can use credit cards for direct payments, as well as for bank cash withdrawals. Consult your bank regarding the best arrangement for gaining access to money during your stay in Sweden. A good idea is to have a card connected to your home bank account. We do not recommend the use of personal cheques, as their use is only possible if the holder has an account in a Swedish bank. Most traveller’s cheques, on the other hand, can easily be exchanged for cash at any bank. Do not keep large sums of money in your student room.Cost of livingA Swedish student has approximately SEK 7 900 per month at his/her disposal for living expenses. Though most students in Stockholm live on a tight budget, there are ways of making the money last longer. You can use your student card for discounts and on-campus restaurants are good value. You can also cook your own food; as most student accommodations have some form of kitchen facility open to residents.

Approximate costs per month

  • Food: SEK 2.500
  • Student accommodation: SEK 3800
  • Local travel: SEK 560
  • Telephone: SEK 300
  • Hobby/leisure, other: SEK 1600

    Total approx: SEK 8 760 (EUR 950)

Residence permits/Visa issues

Students from outside the European Union must have a student resident permit. Please contact the Swedish embassy in advance, for more information. Visa and residence permits for citizens from non-Nordic EU/EEA countries: If you are a citizen of a non-Nordic EU/EEA country you have a right to reside in Sweden. The term "right to reside” means that an EU/EEA citizen is permitted to stay in Sweden for more than three months without a residence permit. However, you must register with the Migration Board no later than three months after entering the country. Necessary information and application forms are found on the » Swedish Migration Board click on Studies, then click on Application forms, then click on the form Registration of right of residence. Please note that if you are a citizen of Switzerland you must apply for a residence permit. Nordic citizens can spend time in and live in Sweden without needing to register or hold a residence permit. Visa and residence permits for citizens of Nordic countries: Citizens from Nordic countries do not need a visa or residence permit to study in Sweden.


The Swedish Institute (Svenska Institutet) has information on scholarships available to international students and researchers on its website. There are many Swedish, European and international foundations that award scholarships. Here are some websites that might be of relevance to you:

» The Swedish Institute
» The Swedish Research Council
» Global Grant

Useful links

» Study in Sweden

» Study in Stockholm

» The Official site of Sweden

Share |